Background to Pupil Premium Funding
Pupil Premium funding is designed to help disadvantaged pupils of all abilities perform better, and close the gap between them and their peers.
“Leaders ensure that the additional pupil premium funding has an impact on pupils’ learning. The leader responsible for the achievement of disadvantaged pupils has made a real difference to how well these pupils achieve. He has worked with determination with class teachers to ensure that each pupil has whatever it takes to enable them to attend well, engage in their learning, make good progress and feel valued. Pupil progress meetings are well focused and address pupils’ individual needs. Disadvantaged pupils make good progress throughout the school in reading, writing and mathematics.”
Pupil Premium is allocated to schools based on the number of eligible pupils who attend and is clearly identifiable within the school’s Pupil Premium Strategy Statement. It is for schools to decide how the Pupil Premium is spent, based on thorough assessment of what additional provision is required for pupils.
The progress of all children is measured on a termly basis and discussions take place with the Senior Leadership Team and Class Teachers. This enables us to discuss individuals in detail and pinpoint any area where additional support may be necessary.
Pupil Premium funding is used to benefit all pupil premium pupils. We have established clear lines of responsibility with a member of the Senior Leadership Team and a link governor taking responsibility for Pupil Premium.
At St Elizabeth, our high proportions of FSM children have meant that our Pupil Premium funding has represented a significant proportion of our budget and we have planned our spending carefully to ensure that it has been spent to maximum effect. This has meant making informed decisions about our spending such as:
- Ensuring that spending is directly linked to gaps in attainment;
- Making use of our own data to develop existing interventions;
- Making sure there is at least good teaching on a day to day basis;
- Making use of research when evaluating and implementing interventions.
Schools do not have to spend pupil premium so it solely benefits eligible pupils. At St Elizabeth, we use funding wherever we identify the greatest need. For example, we might spend it on pupils who do not get statutory free school meals but:
- have or have had a social worker
- act as a young carer
Using pupil premium funding to improve teaching quality is the most effective way to improve outcomes for disadvantaged pupils. By doing so, schools will inevitably benefit non-eligible pupils as well.
Funding is allocated based on the numbers of pupils in the school who already attract pupil premium funding. Mainstream schools will be allocated £145 per eligible pupil. However, the money is not ring fenced to these pupils alone. The money will be used on activities which, for example:
– support the quality of teaching, such as staff professional development
– provide targeted academic support, such as tutoring (see below)
– deal with non-academic barriers to success in school, such as attendance, behaviour and social and emotional support.
The school will report on the use of the recovery funding in their Pupil Premium Strategy Statement.
Funding is allocated for around 60% of pupils eligible for pupil premium per school. 75% of the cost is subsidised in academic year 2021/22. Schools and academy trusts will need to fund the remaining 25% through other budgets, for example recovery premium or pupil premium. The subsidy rate for 2022/23 will be 60% and for 2023/24 will be 25%.
Additionally, we may also spend our pupil premium on non-academic interventions, such as improving pupils’ attendance, as these are often vital in boosting attainment, an issue that is particularly important now, given the impact of Covid-19.
In light of this disruption to schooling, our existing pupil premium strategy will be amended to reflect education recovery needs.